For the Food on Fridays carnival, any post remotely related to food is welcome—though we love to try new dishes, your post doesn’t have to be a recipe. We’re pretty relaxed over here, and stories and photos are as welcome as menus and recipes. When your Food on Fridayscontribution is ready, just grab the button to include with your post. It ties us together visually. Then fill in the boxes of this linky tool to join the fun!
Food on Fridays with Ann
I pinned an enchilada recipe to my Food board that I considered making in its original form, eventually realizing I would never bother making that verde sauce. But I really liked the sweet potato and black bean combo. So I decided to simplify the whole thing and instead of making Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas, I made little tacos from the same basic combination.
Here’s what I did:
- Bake a sweet potato in the microwave
- When it’s done, smoosh its soft innards into a bowl
- Add one can of black beans (drained, rinsed)
- Mince one clove of garlic (much less than the original called for, but feel free to add as much as you like)
- Squeeze in fresh lime (I only had half a lime; an entire lime would be better)
- Add spices: salt & pepper, ground cumin, chili powder, turmeric if you have it. I just shook some in, but you could measure out 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon.
- The enchilada recipe called for green chilis, but I skipped it
- Chop and mix in cilantro (I didn’t have any the first time I made this, but it adds so much flavor—be sure to get some)
- Stir everything gently; the piping hot sweet potato heated the other ingredients enough so that it was all warm
- In a small pan, lightly fry some small corn tortillas
- Dab as much mixture into the tortilla as you like and fold in half like a taco
- Eat and be amazed
* * * * *
Photos by Ann Kroeker. “Pin” these images in a way that links back to this particular page, giving proper credit.
Smaller button for various uses
Your Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas look so delicious, and are making me so hungry. Think I had better go and prepare dinner.
April@The 21st Century Housewife says
These are my kind of tacos! I love sweet potatoes, and I always like to choose the vegetarian option when I can. I like how easy they are to put together as well. Thank you for hosting, and have a lovely weekend!
Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z says
Not only do your taco recipe sound absolutely delicious, the rich black and orange colors are vibrant. What a wonderful meal.
Megan Willome says
I’m printing this one because I’m on my way to the store with the recipe for Dena’s shake. Plus, I just made black beans yesterday.
I’m not going vegan, but I am trying more vegan things for variety.
Megan, if you like those foods separately–the black beans and the sweet potato–I just couldn’t believe how good it was. But don’t forget the cilantro!! (Of course, a Texan girl probably always has cilantro on hand!)
Sandra Heska King says
This sounds way yummy! I’ll bet a little sliced avocado would go good with these…
Sounds delicious! We keep corn tortillas on hand, and Robert baked some potatoes and one sweet potatoe just because the oven was on for something els.e. I have a can of black beans and I would probably add the can of chopped green chilis as we just ran on to a sale of these sweet chilis. Also we would throw in some sliced lettuce! We just enjoyed the microwave cord and a salad that I posted, but if I was hungry, I would made these now.
“Eat and be amazed.” How can I resist? I’m adding the ingredients to my grocery list. 🙂
Susan DiMickele says
This sounds just fab. Makes me hungry indeed.