What makes a post popular?On my blog, which is an unfocused mish-mash of ideas that flit through my mind at any given moment, the all-time top posts are as follows:
- Castile Soap for a Simpler Life (and blemish-free face)
- Thick and Chewy, Fast and Easy Pizza Dough
- Overnight Crockpot Steel-Cut Oatmeal
What am I doing posting about the perils of my attempts to multi-task?Why bother typing up Katherine Paterson’s thoughts on Beauty?Blog-readers want TIPS.They want HELPFUL INFO.Why do I kid myself and write posts about something cute my kids said, or about some Deep Thought I’ve come across in a book or at a conference? I need to be writing bullet-pointed how-to posts that empower people in some way.My brief blog-analysis reminded me of other surprise hits that were “tip-ish” in nature:
- Six Ways to Refresh Your Mind gained a lot of popularity since I posted it in February 2007.
- 10 Simple Ways to Class Up Your Act (a notch) caused a spike in the stats in its day.
- Thanks to linkage from a Top Mama Blogger, How the Cuckoo Found its Voice also brought in some new readers who joined me in considering the joy of resurrecting old, neglected, forgotten hobbies and skills.
- Crepes? Mai, Oui! offers my Americanized instructions on how to prepare this French specialty.
- Quiet Time Round-Up included a collection of devotional and Bible study tips that I gathered into one place. Several people appreciated the effort. It was………helpful!
Helpful ideas, step-by-step how-tos, and tips. Tips, tips, tips.And yet….And yet people flock to the clever writers, the funny folks, the great photographers. The Dooces and Boomamas and Pioneer Women of the world. They do offer some helpful tips along the way, though, so maybe it all comes down to TIPS. And if you’re funny, too, all the better. And if your funny and can take great pictures, you’re a shoe-in to becoming a Blogging Superstar.By the way, have you seen Dooce make the rounds on talk shows representing the power of Blogging Mommas? She was in the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago and was scheduled to be on the Today Show either yesterday or the day before.I usually try to save tip-type posts for Rocks In My Dryer’s Works For Me Wednesdays (talk about TIPS–she’s a Tip-Warehouse!).But now I’m curious what would happen if I specialized in tips for a few days?Not that I have that many ideas to offer the world.It’s not like I’m Family Circle magazine personified.But if I talked to friends and thought about it, I might be able to pull together a few “collections” under some kind of theme.If I can manage to pull it off, I just wonder if my titles ended up How-To in flavor instead of story-driven or essay-style, how that might affect things?I feel an experiment coming on.Five Days of How-To Posts: Experiment with Helpful Posts that Offer Value Implementing Quick-and-Easy TweaksHonestly, just to be clear, I love my faithful readers and those who pop in now and then. You’re fun, encouraging, and insightful. You’re writing great stuff of your own. I love the community of like-minded people who drop in here to see what my radar has picked up and posted; and I try to visit yours, as well. So don’t ever question my satisfaction and gratitude for how you let me be myself here.I guess I’m just curious what would happen if I tweaked my content for a few days.Feel free to join me on this experimental venture. You, too, can try posting nothing but helpful, how-to, informational content for a few days.Just to see.Don’t you wonder?I guess I’d better wrap this up and start making some lists.