Food on Fridays: Food that Says “I Love You”

fof(smaller button below)

Here at the Food on Fridays carnival, any post remotely related to food is welcome—though we love to try new dishes, your post doesn’t have to be a recipe.If you want, you could simply tell us what food says “I love you.” Is it starchy comfort food ladled out by someone else, or a dark chocolate bar? Tell us about it or take a picture.My point is that we’re pretty relaxed over here, and posts like that are as welcome as menus and recipes.When your Food on Fridays contribution is ready, just grab the broccoli button (the big one above or smaller option at the bottom) to paste at the top of your post. It ties us together visually.Then fill in the boxes of Simply Linked to join the party!

Food on Fridays with Ann

If my husband wants to bring home something that will communicate his love for me, he doesn’t bring roses or a bottle of fine wine.He brings avocados.They are kind of expensive around here, so I rarely buy them for myself. Yet I adore them almost any way they can be served: sliced on a sandwich or salad, cut in half and served with a splash of vinaigrette filling the hole, diced and tossed into an omelet, or smashed together for fresh guacamole.So when my husband shows up with a bag of two or three avocados, I get all squishy inside. “Awwww….you brought some for me?””I did,” he’ll reply with a big grin. He brings me avocados to demonstrate that he remembers the little things I care about…that he was thinking about me…that he loves me.Is there a food that says all that to you?

fofPhoto credit: avocado photos by Ann Kroeker
  • There's always more to come: subscribe to Ann Kroeker by e-mail
  • Want to slow down in our fast-paced world? Check out Not So Fast: Slow-Down Solutions for Frenzied Families.
  • "Like" me on Facebook.
  • Comments

1. You’re not going to believe it, but… yogurt. Mainly because no one else likes it but me, it is a bit pricey, and he would have had to have gone out of his way to get it (There is nothing else in the refrigerated section at this particular store that we would have needed).

• annkroeker says:

Oh, I love that he has to go out of his way to pick some up for you. He has to have the thought, “I’m going to pick up some yogurt for Ruth. I’ll surprise her–I love the look on her face when I set it down on the counter.” And then actually trek over, out of the routine.

It’s the little things, isn’t it?

2. My husband brought me an avacado just this week! It’ll be sliced onto a turkey sandwhich. But I’d have to say cheesecake is really more my love language.

I just asked Rick, “What food do I really like it when you bring me?” Awkwardly worded question. He said, “You mean, what food do you like for me to bring to you?” I said, “yes, that’s what I meant.” He replied, “Whatever you’re in the mood for that day. Could be anything!!” :)

• annkroeker says:

You aren’t an expectant mother, are you? :)

And I think you need to make sure he sees this comment from you, not only so he can laugh that you publicly acknowledged how he cleaned up your grammar and is willing to follow your hankerings…but also so that he for sure knows about the cheesecake!

3. He brings you avocados! That is sweet! My husband is not much of a cake person, so when it is his birthday, instead of a Birthday cake, I bake him a pie. Coconut, or banana cream are his favorites, although he does enjoy a nice apple pie too.!
      What does he bring me? Haha, nothing, as he says I am free to go to the store and get anything I want. (smile)

• annkroeker says:

My brother is a pie-guy, too, so his wife does the same for him. I think he likes berry pies best of all.

What would you LIKE for your husband to bring you? Maybe you’d like the flowers??

4. I loved this post – what a warm and thoughtful thing for your husband to do! (Especially as it probably involves a grocery store, something most men try to avoid!)

There isn’t a specific food my husband buys for me, but I will always remember when he came home from a business trip to Switzerland right before the Easter weekend several years ago. There are, of course, several special chocolate shops there, but one in particular was ‘the’ one to go to. Everyone wanted to buy their chocolate. So, on a friend’s recommendation, he queued for almost an hour to buy me an incredible half chocolate egg filled with individual chocolates which he brought home carefully in his hand luggage. It was almost too beautiful to eat, and I still remember it as the best chocolate I have ever had. I made it last for weeks, having one chocolate a day (now that drove my husband crazy!). I did share some too.

As you say, it isn’t necessarily what someone brings you as a gift, it is definitely the thought and love behind it that make it wonderful.

5. Hello Ann,
      I am back and I am happy to be here.My husband rarely remember what to bring for me but he knows to comfort me..like he will just invite me to watch a movie.. or we will just take a walk, go to a certain place where I can enjoy my coffee, ice cream or anything that I like.

• annkroeker says:

Thanks for the reminder that love doesn’t have to be shown by bringing a food treat–the treat can be any number of things (and is probably healthier for us if it doesn’t involve calories!). The movie and the walk are great ideas, with conversation and togetherness. You are a loved woman.

6. I once had a friend comment about the expense of avocados, saying “are those things so expensive because they’re hand picked by South American priestesses and shipped singularly by hot air balloon?”

I kind of thought that was funny.

I like it when Mrs. Muck takes me out for food… anywhere. And though I’m Sourthern(ish) and genteel and all of that, when she pays?!? Sweet mother. That’s love.

• annkroeker says:

That is kind of funny. And I need to think about that whole paying for my husband’s dinner…I had no idea that would be a thrill!

7. My husband’s love for me is so great that he has deeded his lifetime allotment of avocadoes to me.

OK, not exactly. He doesn’t like them.

Rich doesn’t so much love me with spontaneous food gifts. He does love me with trips to the grocery store, together. He pushes the cart and lifts the heavy things.

He could be home watching “Top Gear” instead. It makes me feel very loved.

• annkroeker says:

Yes, the trip to the store is a gift in itself…love in action, literally and physically. And to give up a show is a sacrifice indeed.

8. I would have to say my most special food would be berries. Red raspberries would definitely top the list followed closely by blueberries.

9. Lynn Hopper says:

Do you ever use that avocado slicer I brought you from England? I went to a little trouble (love) for that!!

• annkroeker says:

Yes! It makes perfectly spaced slices for a prettier presentation; though, if I’m in a hurry, sometimes I just go with the knife because it’s right there.

10. Hi Ann I am back again to add how my husband shows me love. He began as my cook when I was working and he was a stay at home husband. When I retired, he continues to cook every day for me. Another loving thing he did for me was to fix the venetian blinds behind where my computer sits in the corner of my kitchen. The sun was shining through the blind slits into my eyes. I was wearing a cap to keep the sun out. LOL. He cut a piece of cardboard and placed it behind the already shut blinds and now I can type to my hearts content any time of the day! When he put the board in place behind the blinds, he asked me if I knew what that was? I said, What? He replied, “That is Love.”

11. Funny you should mention this, because Robert did the same thing for me today. No avocados, but he brought me some chicken verde nachos from The Tamale Place. I would join a crusade for those!

• annkroeker says:

Where’s The Tamale Place??? No, wait, I just Googled and found it. Your recommendation is enticing!

Trackbacks