(alternative button below)
Here at the Food on Fridays carnival, any post remotely related to food is welcome. Recipes are enjoyed, but you can just tell us what you’re going to do with all of the zucchini you encounter this summer or rank your favorite kitchen gadgets in order of frequency of use.
In other words, the Food on Fridays parameters are not at all narrow. I think of it as a virtual pitch-in where everyone brings something to share; even if the content of one item is unrelated to the rest, we sample it all anyway and have a great time.
When your Food on Fridays contribution is ready, just grab the broccoli button (the big one above or the new smaller option at the bottom) to paste at the top of your post and join us through Mr. Linky.
Here’s a Mr. Linky tutorial:
Write up a post, publish, then return here and click on Mr. Linky below. A screen will pop up where you can type in your blog name and paste in the url to your own Food on Fridays post (give us the exact link to your Food on Fridays page, not just the link to your blog).
You can also visit other people’s posts by clicking on Mr. Linky and then clicking participants’ names–you should be taken straight to their posts.
Food on Fridays Participants
- At Home ‘n About (Christmas in July Pt. 4)
- Stretch Mark Mama (Tossed Greek Salad)
- Newlyweds! (Monkey Bread)
- Hoosier Homemade (Cotton Candy Cupcakes)
- My Country Haven (Baked Potato Soup)
- Beauty in the Mundane (Backyard Garden)
- My Practically Perfect Life (Burgers on the Campfire)
- Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free (Chocolate Cupcakes with Mascarpone Icing)
- Glimpse of Sonshine (Chicken Taco Salad)
- Sentiments by Denise (Homemade Substitutes)
- Momtrends (Baked Flounder)
- Cook with Sara (Strawberry Banana Trifle)
- Foodophiles (Quick Smothered Chicken in a Pan)
- Heart N Soul Cooking (Asian Beef and Noodles)
- Prudent and Practical (Classic Oatmeal Bread)
- Coping with Frugality (Yellow Cherry Tomato Salsa)
Food on Fridays with Ann
In the distance, corn.
We see a lot of these two crops as we drive out of the subdivision.
Corn and soybeans.
Soybeans and corn.
When people move here from other parts of the country, they are surprised to see how close farms are to the bustling suburban setting. To me, it feels normal.
That’s because I grew up on a small farm. From age eight to 18, I was surrounded by farm fields. When I stepped out the back door, I saw the view you see in the photo just above: a corn or soybean field stretching out behind the unused hen house. I took this photo the other day. As you can see, this years it’s corn.
More corn grows beyond the fence—a different view of the same field.
Across the street from the house I grew up in, someone is growing soybeans.
Corn and soybeans.
Soybeans and corn.
Did anyone grow something different?
Our neighbors down the road did.
I spent a lot of time at their house. They always had a large garden with lots of produce. Everyone in their large family pitched in to help with harvesting and canning. One time I was invited to help with their potatoes. A few years later, I wrote a poem about it.
I’ll leave you with that poem today, because it’s about food. Kind of.
My father asks me why I’m so dirty.
I say it’s because I played in the field with Becky.
I won’t tell him I worked from two until suppertime
helping pick potatoes with the Hammons in their field.
I won’t tell him how warm and rich the earth was
when Mr. Hammons plowed through, leaving dry ripples
for us to dig our hands in to fish for potatoes.
Or how we picked up six-inch worms and threw them at each other,
while tossing potatoes into ratty bushel baskets.
I like going home with limp hair,
stringy from the summer wind,
and a film of dust on my arms and legs.
When my mom asks me to wash the dishes,
I’ll say I’m too tired.
© 1992 Ann Kroeker
More Friday Carnivals
Is Food on Fridays not fun enough for you? Not in the mood for food? Check out these other great carnivals!
- Hooked on Houses hosts Hooked on Fridays
- Anne Glamore at My Tiny Kingdom is hosting Flashback Fridays
- The Inspired Room is hosting A Beautiful Life
- Amber at the run-a-muck is hosting Friday Funnies
- Frugal Fridays at Life as Mom
- The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap
- 7 Quick Takes Friday, hosted by Conversion Diary
- Aloha Friday, hosted by An Island Life
- Favorite Ingredients Friday, hosted by Overwhelmed With Joy
- Fifi’s Fashionable Friday, hosted by Fifi Flowers Design Decor
- Finding Freedom, hosted by Cents to Get Debt Free
- Finer Things Friday, hosted by The Finer Things in Life
- Four Foods On Friday, hosted by Fun, Crafts and Recipes
- Friday Felicities, hosted by beckyperry.us
- Friday Fill-Ins
- Friday Show and Tell, hosted by Canada Girl
- Photo Story Friday, hosted by What Works For Us
- Say It Forward Friday, hosted by 5 Minutes For Mom
(a slightly smaller Food on Fridays button)
Join Mega Memory Month for the month of July!